Learn how to make the best diabetic-friendly chocolate smoothie with our easy recipe. And find out if cocoa powder is safe for diabetics .
On this page:
This diabetic friendly Chocolate smoothie recipe made with unsweetened cocoa powder , banana and unsweetened almond milk is a wonderful, healthy way to enjoy something sweet without a huge blood sugar spike . Additionally, this dairy-free vegan recipe is low in calories and carbohydrates . It is the ideal diabetic dessert or snack to start your day !
Now do you want to make a vegan diabetic-friendly Chocolate smoothie ? Check out our easy recipe for this healthy beverage :
How To Make The Best Diabetic-friendly Chocolate Smoothie (Low-Carb)
Ingredients And Why :
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder : Unsweetened cocoa powder is high in phytonutrients and low in calories, fat, and sugar. Happily, this low glycemic index (GI) ingredient is an excellent method to flavor a smoothie without adding extra calories . It is also high in antioxidants like polyphenols, which can help lower inflammation and the risk of chronic disease.
To minimize extra sugars and calories when using cocoa powder in a diabetic-friendly smoothie, choose a natural, unsweetened variety .
Banana : Bananas can be used (with moderation) in diabetic smoothies because they include dietary fiber, vitamins, and natural sweetness. However, diabetics must exercise caution while eating fruits since they contain sugar.
To help reduce the release of sugar into the bloodstream, limit meal sizes and pair with protein and fiber.
Unsweetened Almond Milk : This creamy dairy substitute is a safer and healthier milk alternative to dairy milk. Because almond milk is low in calories, it is a good alternative for diabetics.
Recipe : (1 Servings )
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (about 11 gr)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (or soy milk for more protein )
- 1/2 small Banana (frozen about 50gr)
- 3-4 ice cubes
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Ground ( optional )
Blend all ingredients until smooth and enjoy! If the smoothie is too thick, you can add a little more liquid milk or water. Blend again until everything is well combined. Have a wonderful day and stay healthy!
Nutritional values ( per serving) :
- Serving : 250ml
- Calories : 90 ;
- Protein : 3.2g ;
- Carbohydrates : 18.4g ;
- Dietary Fiber : 5.4g ;
- Total Sugars : 6.4g ;
- Total Fat : 3.4g ;
- Saturated Fat : 1.1g ;
- cholesterol : 0mg ;
- Sodium : 98mg ;
- Vitamin D : 1mcg ;
- Calcium : 168mg ;
- Iron :2mg ;
- Potassium : 441mg ;
Image by topntp26 on Freepik
Is Cocoa Powder Good For Diabetics ?
Yes ! Especially Unsweetened cocoa powder !
Here are some key points that prove cocoa powder is good for diabetics :
- Cocoa powder is very low in carbs .
- Unsweetened cacao powder has a low glycemic index (GI), which means it does not produce a rapid spike in blood sugar levels when consumed.
- Potassium in cacao reduces inflammation and helps reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Cacao’s flavonoid epicatechin antioxidant may improve blood sugar regulation and slow progression of type 2 diabetes.
- Polyphenols antioxidant in cacao improve insulin sensitivity, which can help regulate blood sugar and prevent diabetes onset.
However, it is worth remembering that most of commercially available soluble cocoa products or chocolates contain low amount of flavanols and are rich in sugar and calories that may aggravate glycaemic control in T2D patients. Please opt for the natural, unsweetened cocoa powder.
If you want more about Cocoa powder smoothie benefits check out our article Best Cocoa Powder Smoothie Recipe
Note : Speak with your doctor or dietician for more information on eating a healthy diet for diabetes.
- Written By Sonia Ramos, María Angeles Martín, and Luis Goya : Effects of Cocoa Antioxidants in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus ( 2017 Oct 31)
- American College of Cardiology : Cocoa Could Be A Healthy Treat For Diabetic Patientsr (May 28, 2008)
Credits section :
Featured image credit : Image by v.ivash on Freepik
Disclaimer : This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. smoothiesjuice.com does not claim responsibility for this information.